With 77% of the UAE’s workforce feeling like they work in an “always on” environment, it is inevitable that employees may start feeling burnt out. Employee burnout can lead to some serious problems like increased absenteeism, decreased productivity, and changes in behavior that affect your team. But how can you spot the signs of burnout? Here are some telltale symptoms:
- Physical and emotional fatigue
- Lack of focus
- Negative feelings like anger or cynicism
Sounds familiar? It doesn’t have to be! Here are 5 ways to make sure your employees don’t go through that all-dreaded burnout.
- Monitor your employees’ progress and make sure you’re giving consistent and constructive feedback. One of the leading causes of frustration is lack of appreciation and direction.
- Urge your employees to make use of their vacation days and avoid contacting them while they’re on vacation. A well-rested, relaxed employee is happier, more productive, and more loyal to the company.
- Identify physical stressors. With most full-time employees spending a majority of their day in the office, it is important for the workplace to be optimized for happiness and productivity. Adjusting aspects like seating arrangements, noise levels, lighting or temperature can help reduce physical stress triggers.
- Make small gestures like providing breakfast or lunch during a busy period. It can feel like a much-needed boost and a great token of appreciation.
- Set up a monthly activity (during work hours), like team games, that promotes stress relief and bonding.
These low-cost solutions can be incredibly helpful when it comes to making sure your employees are kept far away from the kind of stress that leads to burnouts!