How Cigna helps Governments: Case Studies
May 2018   CIGNA NEWS

How Cigna helps Governments: Case Studies

Scroll to read

We know that government employees, military personnel and students will face unique and unpredictable crises and challenges while they’re abroad. Here are some real-life ways that Cigna was able to help their government clients with flexible health care plans and personalized service.

We never forget that our clients are people, not paperwork

This is an example used for illustrative purposes only and is based on an actual customer experience. Certain circumstances have been changed to protect privacy. Individual customer results will vary.

The situation
The 26-year-old son of a government employee abroad was diagnosed with advanced testicular cancer. His doctor required frequent scans to monitor the spread of the disease and to track treatment progress; however, these were often subject to delay because of the prior authorization we require for CT scans.

How Cigna helped
The family’s case worker flagged the issue to Cigna’s management. We instantly recognized the time-sensitive nature of this young man’s treatment and pre-approved whatever radiology service would be required for the next year.
Personalized service means that we can cater for the unexpected

The situation
A Cigna member working for his government abroad was seeking medical help for infertility. Though fertility treatment was not included in his health care package, we worked with our underwriting team to incorporate it into his benefit plan. We then moved swiftly to find a conveniently-located provider but as they weren’t a member of the Cigna medical network, they expected our client to pay 100% of the billed charges up front.

How Cigna helped
We’ve established direct billing within our network of medical professionals and facilities. Cigna’s senior executive officer negotiated directly with the out-of-network provider to charge for only 20% of the treatment and accept our guarantee of payment for the other 80%.

In a time of crisis, we’ll offer a human touch

The situation
A 20-year-old foreign military student was paralyzed from the waist down after a motorcycle accident. It was a devastating time for the young man, made even more confusing by having to manage his medical care in a foreign language and in a different country’s health care system.

How Cigna helped
We don’t let a language barrier get in the way of good and compassionate care. Cigna assigned two Arabic-speaking staff members to the young man’s case, one an account manager and the other a clinical manager. The two collaborated to assist him in the paperwork required and to discuss his treatment options so that he could move forward, both administratively and medically.

We’ll resolve any complications quickly and sensitively

The situation
A senior government member abroad required medical tests and was directed to one of our in-network facilities. He underwent a series of tests with the radiology department; however they didn’t obtain Cigna’s authorization for testing, and insisted that our client sign a waiver declaring personal responsibility for $12K of charges in the event that his insurance didn’t pay.

How Cigna helped
We expect our network of medical providers to follow a protocol that will give our members professional and hassle-free service, but when things don’t go according to plan, we’ll move quickly to resolve any issues. Our Cigna client advocate immediately opened the lines of communication between Cigna and the radiology facility and within three days, had provided retro-authorization and payment in full for our client’s claim.

Related Articles
Improved and holistic health insurance coverage in Oman

Health insurance for all’ paves way for more holistic medical cover in Oman

Cigna discusses the health insurance landscape in Oman and the impact of Dhamani initiative on medical coverage.

CEO of Cigna Middle East explains the future of work

A CEO's Take on the Future of Work

Jerome Droesch, CEO of Domestic Health and Health Services at Cigna International Markets, discusses the future of the work post-pandemic and the benefits of the hybrid working model.