Medical professionals continuously stress the significance of routine health checkups. Regrettably, many individuals have fast-paced lives where they disregard their health, resulting in seeking medical treatment only when they encounter severe illnesses. In countries like the UAE, where there is an emphasis on busy lifestyles, personal health is often ignored, and routine checkups are not common. Nonetheless, this is an unhealthy habit. It is advised that every individual should undergo regular checkups with their general practitioner, which will guarantee that their body is functioning well, keeping them fit, and preventing any unexpected illnesses. The primary objectives of regular health checkups are as follows:
- Monitor prevailing health conditions
- Check for emerging health issues
- Assess the risk of future medical issues
- Motivate to maintain a healthy lifestyle
- Remain updated with vaccinations.
Why are Health Checkups so important?
Health checkups at regular intervals have many important benefits as listed below:
● Prevention of sickness
Regular medical checkups enable individuals to monitor their health status effectively, keeping them informed of any changes in their bodies and helping them stay on top of their wellbeing. These checkups allow doctors to oversee their medications and make necessary adjustments, ensuring they are functioning as intended, which can contribute to an overall improvement in health. Apart from identifying common illnesses such as colds and flu, regular checkups can detect other conditions that may not be noticeable otherwise.
● Early recognition of chronic and terminal diseases
Early detection of diseases improves the likelihood of a cure and helps prevent the development of potentially life-threatening illnesses in the future. Many diseases do not present symptoms for years, and those who do not undergo routine checkups may only discover their illness when it is too advanced. Detecting cancer, cardiovascular disease, and type 2 diabetes at an early stage can significantly increase the chances of survival. This highlights the importance of scheduling regular medical checkups to ensure prompt detection and treatment of underlying health issues.
● Increases chances of treatment and cure
Chronic health conditions like blood pressure and cholesterol levels can be lowered through medication management and lifestyle modifications. Regular checkups can detect, treat and reduce the risk factors for chronic diseases such as hypertension, diabetes, heart disease, and stroke which contributes to overall health improvement.
● Monitors prevailing health conditions to reduce complications
Regular health monitoring can identify lifestyle habits that affect overall health, such as how smoking or alcohol consumption can affect a person with a particular health condition. For individuals with high blood pressure or diabetes, these checkups can track how well the condition is being managed by their doctor, facilitating necessary adjustments to medication or dietary plans.
● Saves on medical cost
As medical expenses continue to rise, it is crucial to take steps to minimize them. Regular comprehensive medical checkups enable doctors to monitor an individual's progress regularly, enabling prompt attention to any changes rather than waiting until they worsen or lead to complications. By detecting health issues early on, serious illnesses or injuries that require costly treatments, such as surgeries or chemotherapy, can be prevented, potentially saving patients money in the long run.
● An aide for better health and longevity
Undergoing a comprehensive checkup can help identify and manage the risk of developing certain diseases based on an individual's medical history, such as high blood pressure, diabetes, and heart disease. After each visit, individuals receive guidance on necessary lifestyle changes, promoting longevity and optimal body functioning.
Annual Medical Checkups: Tests covered and types
Various healthcare providers offer diverse health checkup packages that include vital tests to assess one's health status. Several factors determine the appropriate health checkup package, including age, gender, current health condition, personal history, family history, and other contributing factors such as lifestyle addictions. The following tests are typically included in annual medical checkups.,
- Full Blood Count
- Post-Prandial Blood Sugar
- Fasting Blood Sugar
- Uric Acid
- Fasting Lipid Profile
- Liver Function Test
- Urine Analysis
However, tests may vary depending on the health condition of the individuals and the checkup plan chosen by them.
Things to consider while choosing your health checkup packages
While buying health insurance is a tough choice, there are a few factors one should consider when zeroing down on a plan.
- Health needs: One should consider current health status, medical history, and any ongoing health conditions that may require regular monitoring or treatment.
- Cost: Comparing costs and ensuring affordability along with considering value for money and sufficient coverage for health needs is crucial while choosing a health package.
- Network coverage: It is recommended to verify whether the preferred healthcare providers and hospitals are included in the network of the health package being considered.
- Reputation of the service provider: One should check if their chosen insurance provider has a good track record in providing quality care.
- Customer support: One should go for a package that offers easy access to customer support and assistance in case of any issues or concerns.
- Terms and conditions: A customer should read and understand the terms and ensure that the terms are suitable according to their requirements.
Health checkups you can do at home
Sometimes it might not be possible to physically visit a healthcare provider to conduct medical checkups. Hence, here are some basic tests one can do at home to monitor your overall health:
- Monitoring blood sugar and blood pressure
- Checking pulse rate and oxygen level
- Examining fat accumulation in the body
- Conducting pregnancy test
- Checking formation for lumps in the breast and scrotum
- Looking for any unusual growth or deformation on the skin