What is a Health Insurance Card?
A health insurance card, synonymously known as a health card or medical card, is physical proof issued to an insurance holder by their health insurance provider. It contains information about an insured's policy, such as their policy number, insurance provider's name, coverage, sum insured, and personal information, like their name and date of birth. When the insured wishes to claim a health insurance policy to receive the required medical care or services, their healthcare provider retrieves information related to the health insurance coverage by utilizing the data used in the health card.
Health insurance cards are an essential tool for managing healthcare services and costs. This card further ensures policyholders have easy and instant round-the-clock access to medical care whenever needed.
What information does a medical insurance card contain?
A medical insurance card typically contains the following information.
- Policy number: This unique number is assigned to the individual's health insurance policy.
- Name of the insurance provider: This is the insurance company's name that provides coverage to the individual.
- Name of the policyholder: This is the person who holds the insurance policy, which may or may not be the same as the individual using the card.
- Name of the covered individual: This is the name of the individual covered by the insurance policy, which may or may not be the same as the policyholder.
- Date of birth: This is the individual's date of birth used to confirm their identity and ensure they are eligible for coverage.
- Effective date: This is the insurance policy's commencement date.
- Expiration date: This is the date when the insurance coverage ends.
- Copay amount: This is the amount that the individual is responsible for paying out-of-pocket for each medical service or prescription.
- Contact information: This may include the phone number or website of the insurance company, as well as any customer service or emergency contact information.
The specific information on a medical insurance card may vary depending on the insurance provider and the type of plan.
What are the benefits of using Health Insurance Cards?
- Access to Cashless Hospitalization: Health insurance cards are handy if the insured wants cashless treatment in-network hospitals. An insured individual needs to present the health card to the network healthcare provider to verify the required details for settling the insurance claims.
- A clear idea of eligibility claims: Health insurance cards contain critical information about the health issues covered in the policy. Hence, they serve as proof of claim validation when presented for cashless treatments. Healthcare providers typically cross-check all relevant details to validate the claim before initiating cashless treatments. The same applies to critical insurance claims as well.
- Policy details within fingertips: Healthcare providers require insured individuals or their representatives to mention the unique customer identification number or policy number on a claim form to verify relevant policy details like the coverage amount, validity dates, covered health issues, etc. In general, policyholders should be aware of all the features and benefits of their policy. However, searching for policy documents or remembering them during medical emergencies can be challenging. Health insurance cards are compact and can be carried in the wallet to eliminate such last-minute troubles.
- Information related to policy validity: The health insurance cards have a printed initiation and expiration date to enable policyholders conveniently monitor their coverage's validity. Once the validity period lapses, the insurance company can issue a new card upon renewal. Furthermore, utilizing the card can enable customers to authenticate the active status of their health insurance coverage.
- Streamlined coordination with insurance provider: Policyholders can utilize their health insurance cards for easy and quick communication with their insurance provider. All health cards have emergency helpline numbers of the service providers printed on them, which insured, or healthcare providers can use to initiate health insurance claims or learn more about health insurance benefits with ease.
How to get a Health Insurance Card?
The process of acquiring a health insurance card may differ based on the insurance provider and policy that one has purchased. Nonetheless, policyholders can follow certain generic steps to obtain a health insurance card. Initially, one needs to get a health insurance policy either through their employer or buy it from the healthcare marketplace. Upon receipt of registration confirmation by the insured, the insurance provider typically dispatches the health insurance card. However, in scenarios where the customers have not received the card, they can contact their insurance provider to request one. Upon receipt of the card, it may require activation. The cardholder must adhere to the procedure as instructed by the insurance provider for activating the card. Finally, it is imperative to present the health insurance card while claiming healthcare benefits and services.
Cigna Health Insurance Cards
Cigna Globalcare Health Insurance Card
Cigna Globalcare card is a health insurance medical card issued by Cigna in partnership with Neuron, a reputed Third-Party Administrator (TPA) in the Middle East. With the Cigna Globalcare Card, users can access a network of healthcare providers and hospitals in various countries across the GCC and worldwide. With this card, policyholders can access digital tools to manage or access their health plan, irrespective of time and place. Cigna Globalcare card offers a comprehensive and flexible healthcare solution for those who travel frequently or live abroad and organizations that want to provide their members with affordable healthcare services.
Cigna Smartcare Health Insurance Card
Cigna Smartcare Card is another health insurance card provided by Cigna in collaboration with Neuron, an acclaimed Third-Party Administrator in the Middle East region with a significant number of customers. As a TPA, Neuron enables insurers and employers to manage their policies, claims, and other administrative tasks more efficiently via digital platforms that reduce costs and enhance customer experience. It may include the contact information of the insurance holder, Cigna's customer service, and a list of covered benefits and services. The card allows policyholders to access medical care, routine health checkups, and other healthcare services covered in their plan.
Cigna Choice Health Insurance Card
The Cigna Choice Health Insurance Card is offered by Cigna in collaboration with MedNet, a highly regarded Third-Party Administrator (TPA) in Oman. MedNet has been operating in Oman for over 20 years as a TPA and provides efficient and cost-effective healthcare benefits and services to policyholders while also ensuring top-notch customer service. It contains crucial information such as the policyholder's name, policy number, Cigna ID, card validity, and network name. The card also has information regarding, Copay amount and plan benefits. With this card, insures may access online health libraries and well-being programs.